Contact: Cassandra Shaw cshaw1013 [at] gmail [dot] com Find me on LinkedIn.
Professional Bio Creative, multitalented communications professional with over four years’ experience crafting communications material, marketing strategy, and advertising campaigns for both products and services. Highly experienced in all facets of the strategic communications process, from design to execution. Team player with excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills accustomed to producing quality results in deadline-driven environments.
National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund- Washington, DC
Communications and Digital Media Associate, April 2013-Present
- Manages Memorial Fund social media presence, serving as administrator for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Blogger. Plans social media strategy around all platforms in order to grow and further engage our audience.
- Uses Convio customer relationship management software to reach constituent mailing list of over 300,000 people, writing an average of 3 emails per week. Subject matter includes informational emails about Memorial Fund events, fundraising appeals, surveys and e-newsletters.
- Serves as lead designer on major organization publications, including the annual report and case statements to assist with fundraising. Works with communications team to develop content and uses Adobe InDesign to create documents.
- Interfaces directly with printing broker to produce large runs (1000+ copies) of designed documents and has developed knowledge of four-color printing, contemporary web practices and large-format printing.
- Writes an average of 3 press releases per month for the organization. Develops both narrative and news-ready releases and sends them through targeted email blasts and a press release distribution service.
- Grew Facebook likes from 184k to 240k since April 2013, with an average of 3,500 new likes per month. Increased Facebook post organic reach from an average of 310k to 620k per month.
- Acts as staff photographer, using a Nikon D5200 to photograph organization events. Plans photography shot lists for marketing purposes and edits photos with Adobe Photoshop. Manages outside professional photography company when additional coverage is needed, ensuring that events are staffed properly.
Stark Aerospace- Rosslyn, VA
Marketing/Communications Specialist, September 2012-April 2013
- Plans marketing strategy for company. Works with advertising agencies to establish company presence in major industry-specific publications. Writes press releases and distributes across multiple channels.
- Serves as sole graphic designer for company- responsible for developing dynamic presentations, advertisements, brochures, event exhibits and product logos using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Manages $500K marketing budget. Tracks spending and budget forecasts, reporting directly to company leadership.
- Updates and maintains HTML and CSS content on company website. Writes website copy for new products/services and designs graphical web elements (Images, Banners, UI).
- Manages and facilitates three major industry-specific events per year. Responsibilities include advertising material design/procurement, company booth development, and overall logistics.
- Ensures that company brand standards are met and maintained across all marketing material. Continually updates and enhances all forms of marketing material to meet evolving industry requirements.
Metters Incorporated- McLean, VA
Communications Specialist, June 2010-September 2012
- Utilized Adobe Creative Suite to design graphical elements for company communications and marketing materials (banners, logos, charts, print, and web advertisements).
- Editor-in-chief for 6 company newsletters releases, distributed quarterly to over 300 employees. Designed and developed layout and graphics with Adobe Creative Suite. Manages publication schedule, authors, editing, printing, and distribution of both physical and electronic media.
- Provided significant contributions to company brand development and design. Led a re-branding campaign to create consistent internal and external company materials.
- Wrote and edited content for Metters’ social media outlets and planned a social media strategy involving the use of Facebook and LinkedIn to increase employee engagement.
- Participated in the development process for 25+ proposals each year. Organized and defined proposal objectives, developed “WIN” themes/strategies, and provided writing contributions. Sole graphic designer for proposal development; developed charts, graphs, cover pages, and headers on all proposals.
MLC Advertising- Harrisonburg, VA
Intern, January 2010-May 2010
Collaborated with the creative director at MLC to develop advertising campaigns for various local clients that included social media, traditional television, radio, and print components. Wrote and edited video, radio and website copy for a local book fair, a water filtration company and a motorcycle dealership.
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree, James Madison University May, 2010 Majored in: Media Arts and Design, Corporate Communication concentration Communication Studies, Interpersonal Communication concentration